DJI Mavic Air vs Parrot Anafi: Which Is Better Drone?
When it comes to the latest camera drones, the DJI Mavic Air ($799) which was released back in January and the upcoming Parrot Anafi ($699) set to be released this July are likely to come to mind. With this, people are wondering which is better between the two. Let’s compare them, shall we?
When it comes to camera specs, both drone a packed with powerful cameras that sit on a maneuverable 3-axis gimbal. However, there are some differences between the two that could tilt the balance between filmmaking and photography.
Aspects on where Anafi is superior:
- 1/2.4” sensor that shoots 21MP (5,344 x 4,016) stills.
- Superior aperture that can hit faster shutter speeds (1/10000s).
- Has “lossless digital zoom” which allows magnify up to 2.8x without a reduction in image or video quality, making it easier to film your subject without having to get so close.
Aspects on where Mavic is superior:
- Camera FOV at 85-degrees compared to the other which is only at 84-degrees.
- Exhibits slightly steadier camera support for non-shaky filmmaking.
Aspects that depend on the user’s preference:
- Although the camera on Anafi is less steady compared to the Mavic, it has an incredible vertical tilt range which allows it to point straight downwards (-90º) and straight upwards (90º). Compared it to the latter, its camera ranges from -90º to only 17º.
- Both drones feature the same max bitrate (100Mbps), but only Mavic comes with 8GB of internal storage while Mavic comes with a 16 GB microSD card. However, both can support up to 128 GB external storage – although it yet to be confirmed in Anafi can go even higher than that.
The Design, Weight, Etc.
When it comes to weight, the Parrot Anafi wins hands-down with its weight of 320g compared to the DJI Mavic Air which weighs 430g. However, when it comes to portability, size, and design it depends on one’s preference.
For size, Anafi is much longer but less wide. It measures 9.6 x 2.6 x 2.5 in, while the other measures 6.61 x 3.26 x 1.92 in.
When it comes to foldable features, with the Anafi, all of the arms are flatten outwards and can be pulled out/in independently. Whereas with Mavic, the front arms are folded back alongside the drone boy while the back arms are folded forward on top of the front arms.
When it comes to design, despite being heavier, Mavic is easier to carry around, but Anafi has a unique design which is quite eye-catching. Although both drones mount their cameras in the front, the former’s camera is embedded in the frame in order to save space, while the latter’s camera sits by itself like an insect head. This in return allows it to have incredible vertical tilt range as mentioned above regarding its camera specs.
Flight, Speed & Control
Despite being lighter, the Parrot Anafi is inferior when it comes to speed. It can only hit a max of 33mph, while the DJI Mavic Air can hit a top speed of 42.5mph.
However, when it comes to wind resistance, this is where Anafi shines. It can stay hovering in place at up to 31 mph winds while the other loses stability when winds hit the 19-24mph range.
As for battery life, Mavic is packed with a 2,375mAh battery and is reportedly capable of 21 minutes of flight time – but some say it’s actually only 18 minutes at best. On the other hand, Anafi is reported to hit 25 minutes of flight time.
Regarding its control range, both can register commands up to 2.5 miles away with the remote controller via Wi-Fi frequencies at either 2.4 GHz or 5.8 GHz. In addition to that, both can also respond to commands from dedicated phone apps. Furthermore, both drones also have “follow-me” tracking, return home feature and smart shot modes.
Although Anafi has the unique zoomable lens to perform the famous Hollywood dolly zoom and create 3D maps of objects or buildings, Mavic has some features to make it stand out nevertheless. The Mavic has a motion control functionality to which the other drone doesn’t have. In addition to this, it can also sense and avoid obstacles in three directions—forward, backward and downward.
So which between the two camera drones do you is more superior? We would like to hear your thoughts and opinions in the comment section below.