Can We Expect Phantom 5 From DJI At CES 2019?
We’re in 2019 now and next week there will be an event that many tech enthusiasts are looking forward to – CES 2019. On that upcoming event, drone fans are expecting DJI to showcase some of their new gadgets. Among those gadgets is the Phantom 5 drone.
When Is CES 2019?
The 2019 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is scheduled from January 8 to 11 (Tuesday – Friday). It will be held at the Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas.
What To Expect From DJI At CES 2019?
Last year at CES 2018 in Las Vegas, DJI showcased the Tello micro-drone, Osmo Mobile 2, and the Ronin-S handheld DSLR gimbal. In fact, they even offered a free Osmo Mobile 2 if you stopped by their booth.
But for CES 2019, a report suggests that the Shenzhen-based company will be showing off the Mavic 2 drones and the Osmo Pocket. In addition to that, the company could also launch a new DJI Mavic 2 controller with built-in CrystalSky.
Furthermore, drone fans are also hoping the Phantom 5 drone to make an appearance on the event. If that doesn’t happen, then its next likely date could be on March or April.
DJI Phantom 5’s Rumored Specs And Features
There have been a number of rumors and leaks regarding the Phantom 5. There have even been alleged photos of a “Phantom 5 prototype” which DJI denied and said that it was just a custom model for a commercial client.
As for the Phantom 5’s rumored specs and features, the folks over at Drone DJ published a list about it on November 2018:
- It will come in two models; one with a zoom lens and one with interchangeable lenses
- Zoom lens: possibly a 3.5x optical zoom and 2x digital zoom for 7x zoom in FHD
- Four interchangeable prime lenses: 16, 24, 35 and 50mm
- Sensor: likely to be a 1″ CMOS sensor with 20MP
- Hasselblad camera with a Sony sensor and the Hasselblad Natural Colour Solution (HNCS)
- Global shutter (mechanical shutter) to eliminate rolling shutter effect
- Adjustable aperture
- Video: better than Phantom 4 Pro V2.0, to include 4K@60fps, H.265, H.264, 10-bit Dlog-M color profile, and 4K 10-bit HDR video, Hyperlapse
- Photo: to include HDR, HyperLight and the usual QuickShots and Pano
- Newly designed controller? See here.
- Max flight time: 35 minutes
- OcuSync 2.0
- Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing
- Active Track 2.0
- Possible rain proofing
- Downward facing LED’s
- Will fly faster, longer and quieter than Phantom 4 Pro V2.0
DJI Phantom 5’s Price
Regarding its price tag, Gizmo China reports it could be around $1,600. Trusted Reviews reports that the Phantom 5 could feature a similar price tag with the Phantom 4 Pro which sits at £1,589 ($2,023). Lastly, Drone DJ predicts it could be between $1,700 and $2,500.
Do you think the Phantom 5 will make an appearance at CES 2019? When do you think it will be launched? What are your thoughts and opinions regarding its rumored specs, features and price? Tell us in the comment section below.